Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Object: Meret Oppenheim

This piece, called "My Nurse" by surrealist Meret Oppenheim, is an example of taking objects and putting them in places far out of their normal context. The piece consists of high heels shoes, string, paper "chef's hats", and a metal cooking pan. By taking found objects and placing them together in a completely new manner, Oppenheim was able to make an object of her own. I chose this piece because it displays how one can take any old object and force the viewer to see it in an utterly unexpected way. When I first saw this piece, I had to do a double take before I realized what was actually going on. The fact that it made me do a double take because of the unusualness is what attracted me so much, how ordinary objects can be made to be extraordinary.
~Katie Doherty

No comments:

Post a Comment