Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Norman Rockwell





I've been looking at Norman Rockwell a lot lately for my illustration class. He's one of the only household named illustrators. His oil paintings depict very american scenes, he paints children a lot which is partly why I'm interested considering my journal research of the children I babysit for. The majority of his work shows ideal rural american life because he grew up in New York City, like me, which brought him an appreciation for the countryside.
The painting with the little black girl has to do with racial integration of the schools, she's supposed to be the first black girl to go to a white school. His work didn't get political until he started noticing that's what the people wanted to see. In fact, he was told not to paint black people when he was illustrating for the local newspaper.
-Elle

No comments:

Post a Comment